Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Finally Made It!

Well, we finally made it to South Africa. I think it took a total of 29 hours from the time I left my house on Monday morning until the time I walked into our hotel in Durban, South Africa.

I had to fly from O'Hare to Dulles in Washington D.C. to catch our international flight. What I didn't know was that it wasn't a direct flight. We flew direct to Dakar, Senegal and had about an hour and a half layover....without getting off the plane; not good for my ADHD. Good thing each seat had their own video monitor so I was able to watch a few movies and TV shows. Ironically, the guy I was sitting next to was from Evanston and had no connection to the trip I'm on.

After we took off from Dakar the pilot alerted us that it was 10 hours to Johannesburg!! I was thinking more like 5 ish...sooo I did my best to sleep through it but ended up watching two movies and 3 TV shows.

Once we got into Johannesburg we passed through customs, exchanged some money and jumped right on another flight to Durban. It was only about 45 minutes, kind of like flying from Chicago to Minneapolis.

Unfortunately, it's currently 10 pm and I'm wide awake. We're 7 hours ahead of Chicago and tomorrow we have a full day. Breakfast at 7:30 am and beginning at 8:30 am we meet with the Department of Sport and Recreation whose goal is to increase the levels of participation in sport and recreation activities. This should take most of the morning and early afternoon but afterwards we will visit the Kwa-Muhle museum where the former headquarters during the apartheid era.

I'll let ya know how it goes. I'll post pics tomorrow too. Gonna go for a run in the fitness center, maybe that will put me to sleep. Somehow, I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment