Thursday, November 11, 2010

Final Dinner and Krieger National Park





Tuesday night, the entire delegation had an end of trip dinner. Most of the delegation headed back to the U.S. the next day. 6 of us, including me wanted to take the excursion to Krieger National Park.

We left Cape Town at 5 am Wednesday morning to catch a flight to Johanessburg. From there, we had about a 6 hour bus ride to the park. Yes, the bus ride was brutal, especially since it started to down pour. Our bus driver did a great job getting us through the mountain pass in the dense fog.

When we actually go to our hotel, which is right outside the gate of Krueger, it was a torrential downpour and completely dark. We're in the middle of nowhwere and there are all kinds of sounds that I've never heard of. By the way, there are monkeys everywhere ready to steal your food if you're not careful.

We had a 4:30 am wake up call so we could get out and drive through the game reserve to see animals. We were pretty fortunate to see all of the big five (Lion, Elephant, Rhino, Cape Buffalo, and Leopard) on the first day. I've attached pics of them (missing the buffalo because it was too far away for my camera.

Day two tomorrow morning then we're going on a night ride through the park. I have to imagine it will be the darkest environment I've ever been in. I'll let you know when I survive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment